Eva Leger's Reviews > The Children We Remember

The Children We Remember by Chana Byers Abells

May 05, 12

bookshelves: b-non-fiction, holocaust-wwii
Read on May 03, 2012

I ordered this after having only seen the title and knowing the subject. I had no idea it was for children so young.
Once I had it in my hands I knew I'd read it but I really doubted I would share it with Julia (who is 6 years old). I read a lot about the Holocaust so she's seen various books laying around the house and even asked a question or two seeing a cover photo of a small child. I never told her much. I knew I would someday but I didn't know how. And I didn't (and still don't) know how much.
After I read through this I realized it's okay. She's pretty mature for 6 but I'd say the average child around her age can deal with this book okay. That's my opinion.
I read it to her and we took our time with the photos. It's even harder reading a book like this with your child I think. I wish she didn't have to know. I wish there wasn't anything to know.
The Children We Remember is a short but emotional book. It's the best I've seen on the subject as an introduction to the Holocaust for children.
I found it hard to answer some of Julia's questions, especially being that I had to tell her Nazi's were German, the people who did this were German, when Germany and it's culture, everything about it, is so much a part of her life. But in my opinion it's not just about Germans or the Jewish, it's more about people. If I weren't German this would affect me the same.
I'm sure I'll have more questions thrown at me over the next few days and that's okay. I welcome that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Children We Remember.