Theresa's Reviews > The Girls from Ames: A Story of Women and a Forty-Year Friendship

The Girls from Ames by Jeffrey Zaslow

Dec 14, 09

Read in October, 2009, read count: 1

Jeffrey Zaslow writes about 11 girls and the 10 women they became.

The eleven girls all graduated from Ames High School in 1981 and then went their separate ways for college and the rest of their lives. During that time they maintained their close relationships with each other through annual reunions and weddings. The advent of the internet and e-mail has helped them become even closer despite the fact that they are now spread throughout the US.

He writes stories about each of their girls and how they became friends with the group. How the friendships survived and how during times they didn’t survive. How they all come together support each other despite differences and disagreements. Most of all, how the friendship that these women share has helped to support them in their lives.

I was anxious to read this book. I felt an immediate connection with the women in the story. Mostly because I am a 1982 graduate and I’m originally from Iowa. Their high school, college and life experiences strongly match many of my experiences although I don’t have the experience of having a group of high school friends who have maintained the connection that these women have.

It’s a very moving story and parts of it are very heartbreaking – you’ll need to have your tissues handy.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girls from Ames.