Sarah Sammis's Reviews > The Essential Basho

The Essential Basho by Matsuo Bashō

Jun 26, 10

bookshelves: borrowed, read-in-2010
Read from December 14, 2009 to January 14, 2010

I remember learning the basics of writing Haiku in fifth or sixth grade. I don't however remember any of the poems I wrote for school. Since then Haiku has been out of sight, out of mind for me. That was until my son and I read Dragon of the Red Dawn (Magic Tree House #37) by Mary Pope Osborne. The story centers on Jack and Annie meeting Matsuo Basho.

Whenever Sean comes across an interesting factual detail in a book he's reading he likes to research what he's learned. Usually he and I will do a web search to find an article but sometimes he wants more.

In the case of Basho, he wanted a book of his poetry. Luckily our library has a copy of The Essential Basho by Sam Hamill. It includes a brief biography of the poet and his most famous haikus. Sean was mostly interested in reading more of his work. So we took turns reading haikus to each other.

I love it when one book will lead to another as Dragon of the Red Dawn lead us to The Essential Basho.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Essential Basho.