Sarah Sammis's Reviews > The Essential Basho

Dec 14, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: borrowed, read-in-2010
Read from December 14, 2009 to January 14, 2010

I remember learning the basics of writing Haiku in fifth or sixth grade. I don't however remember any of the poems I wrote for school. Since then Haiku has been out of sight, out of mind for me. That was until my son and I read Dragon of the Red Dawn (Magic Tree House #37) by Mary Pope Osborne. The story centers on Jack and Annie meeting Matsuo Basho.

Whenever Sean comes across an interesting factual detail in a book he's reading he likes to research what he's learned. Usually he and I will do a web search to find an article but sometimes he wants more.

In the case of Basho, he wanted a book of his poetry. Luckily our library has a copy of The Essential Basho by Sam Hamill. It includes a brief biography of the poet and his most famous haikus. Sean was mostly interested in reading more of his work. So we took turns reading haikus to each other.

I love it when one book will lead to another as Dragon of the Red Dawn lead us to The Essential Basho.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Essential Basho.

09/27/2016 marked as: read