Mary JL's Reviews > Something's Alive on the Titanic

F_50x66
Dec 26, 09

bookshelves: action-adventure
Recommended to Mary JL by: The title caught my eye--a good concept
Recommended for: fans of advneture; Titanic buffs, ghost story fans
Read in December, 2009, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** The title piqued my interest. I had previously read "The President's Plane Is Missing", by the same author, so I thought I'd give it a try.

The concept is good. An earlier expedition to the Titanic had failed; leaving only one survivor. Now, a second expedition is being planned by the US Navy--with more modern equipment and better trained people.

Serling does his research well; he sticks to most of the true facts about the Titanic--adding just one or two bits of fiction to base his tale on. The writing is competent; the characterization average.

So, why only two stars? Well, here comes a spoiler without too many details. Serling introduces supernatural elements into his tale. I do like supernatural books--Stephen King being a prime example. However, the supernatural elements did not seem to fit here. Or, maybe the way this author handles supernatural elements does not ring a bell with me.

If you like supernatural elements in your books, you may enjoy this book more than I. Had the explaination of events been different, I would have given three stars.

Still, a quick, fast paced decent read and a must for any Titanic buffs out there.

Btw, note for trivia collectors: Robert Serling is the brother of Rod Serling, of 'Twilight Zone' fame.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something's Alive on the Titanic.

12/14/2009 page 8
12/24/2009 page 374
100.0% "Finished. Review pending."
show 8 hidden updates…