Jenni's Reviews > The Karma of Jesus

The Karma of Jesus by Mark Herringshaw

Jan 14, 10

bookshelves: first-reads, owned
Read in January, 2010

I won this book through goodreads back in October. I finally got around to starting it about a month ago. I am not a particularly religious person, so I was hesitant to read this and not sure how I would get through the whole book.
In the beginning of the book, Harringshaw focuses mainly on the karma aspect, we reap what we sow. I learned a few new things about the history of karma that I was previously unaware of. It bothers me how he only explains karma enough to make it seem like it is an inescapable doom that we will never get away from. Unfortunately, it would seem he lacks a complete understanding of the beliefs behind karma. It was pretty interesting until about the 7th chapter. The book then becomes an explanation of how much God and Jesus have done for us as a people and how we need to give ourselves wholly over to them in order for our lives to be blessed so we can live (and ultimately die) in peace. If a person simply asks God for forgiveness he will turn our sins into Jesus' sins and we will be clean again.
To be honest, the book turned from comparing the likeness of the belief in karma to the way Jesus took all of mankind's sins unto himself so we don't have to deal with our own spiritual consequences for our actions into an detailed explanation of how Jesus can save us if only we'll give ourselves up to God. Unfortunately for me, that isn't a pill I will readily swallow. For those of you thinking about reading this book, I hope that you have a strong faithful foundation to begin with. I fear that if you don't, you won't be able to read the book in its entirety. The last few chapters felt more like I was being scolded for not being a faithful believer then it did as a comparison of beliefs between karma and grace.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Karma of Jesus.

01/09/2010 page 119