Anne's Reviews > The 175 Best Camp Games: A Handbook for Leaders

191585
Jan 05, 10

bookshelves: borrowed, girl-scouts, non-fiction
Read in December, 2009

I didn't get a thorough read of this book in, but read enough to know that there's a wealth of information in here, not just a few games. The games are interesting too, interesting enough for my near-teenaged daughter to pick up and skim the book herself for several minutes.

The book is divided into sections for different kinds of games: water games, games to tire kids out, quieter games, break the ice games, etc. They offer ideas for modifying games to make them easier or more difficult, as well as great ideas for including differently-abled kids in a variety of ways. Many games also emphasize cooperation over competition, but the authors also include tips for healthy competition and managing the kid who has difficulty losing. I wondered at myself when I impulsively checked this out of the library, thinking my middle school Girl Scout troop would be far past these games, but I was pleasantly surprised. These games can work for a wide range of ages. These authors would be any camp director's dream team.

I'd strongly recommend this book if you volunteer with children: whether that's with a scouting group, church school, day or resident camp or after school care. There's a wealth of information in here, clearly written and laid out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 175 Best Camp Games.

01/05/2010 page 160