Luann's Reviews > When You Reach Me

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

Jan 01, 10

bookshelves: young-adult, science-fiction, time-travel, mystery, fiction, 2010, newbery-medal, ms-rec
Recommended for: ALL Madeleine L'Engle fans
Read from December 31, 2009 to January 01, 2010

Wow. Easily five stars. This is a MUST for all Madeleine L'Engle fans - and anyone who enjoyed watching The $20,000 Pyramid game show! Once I really got started, I didn't want to stop until I had finished. And even once I reached the end, I went back and reread some parts again.

I loved the writing style with short chapters, most with titles that could be categories on The $20,000 Pyramid game show and applied in some way to the events in the chapter. The short chapters also moved the story along quickly, giving you just enough detail to make you wonder at the mysterious events and want to continue. As the story progresses, you start to realize that even some of the mundane events might have great significance. I'm not going to give too much detail, though, because this one is best enjoyed by not knowing too much about the plot before you read it.

I definitely want to read this again sometime, and I also need to see if I can get my hands on a copy of Rebecca Stead's first book, First Light. I could definitely see this winning the Newbery award.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When You Reach Me.

12/31/2009 page 1
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lee (new) - added it

Lee I really want to read this and I used to love that pyramid game show!

Lisa Vegan I didn't love the game show but I love Madeleine L'Engle! Yes, I'd seen and enjoyed your review of this book, Luann. It's on my "short list" and I hope to get to it this year!

message 3: by Luann (last edited Jan 10, 2010 03:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Luann It's a quick read! You don't have to love the game show to enjoy the book - I think it helps to know how the game show works, although it is explained in the book.

Trudee Bealka I really enjoyed reading this book as "A Wrinkle in Time" was one of my favorites growing up and the $20,000 Pyramid was also something i watched when growing up in the 70's. I also loved the writing style and the issues that were brought up as they related growing up. I am curious as to the opinion of the book to people who didn't read "A Wrinkle in Time" and never watched the "$20,000 Pyramid". It seems the people what would enjoy it most are 45-50 year old women who don't often look for books in the children section. I should consider myself lucky i had my children late in life and stumbled across it at the school book fare.

Luann Trudee wrote: "It seems the people what would enjoy it most are 45-50 year old women who don't often look for books in the children section.

Oh, that made me laugh! I do think that would be a group of people who would enjoy this book. But then I tend to think everybody would enjoy children's books if they just gave them a chance! And I can't figure out why more adults don't read them more often - even if they don't have kids of their own!

I've also had many 4th, 5th and 6th graders at my school read this book and enjoy it. I don't think it's strictly necessary to have seen the game show or have read A Wrinkle in Time - but it definitely increases your enjoyment and understanding of the story.

Lisa Vegan Luann wrote: "I tend to think everybody would enjoy children's books if they just gave them a chance! And I can't figure out why more adults don't read them more often - even if they don't have kids of their own!"

My sentiments exactly!!!

A Wrinkle in Time (with this cover!!!!) was my favorite book for years, or in my top 3 books at the least. I don't think it's ever left my top 20 list. I never saw the game show. BUT, I LOVED this book!