Cara's Reviews > Fat Cat

Jun 06, 14

bookshelves: realistic-fiction
Recommended to Cara by: Ash
Read in December, 2009

This book reminded why I love reading so much. I learned so many new things without being banged over the head with textbook mumbo jumbo. I almost fell out of chair when she talked about the Tarahumara indians (it's a joke in my family).

Cat is well fat and is carrying around a lot of resentment. She is smart and she has good friends but again she's fat. Every year she enters the science fair and this year she plans to beat Matt no matter what happens. The experiment that she takes on is pretty extreme. She is going to eat like the caveman did and limit her access to modern technology. With her diet of diet coke and chips and her habits of a modern day person this will be no easy task.

Slowly we see her start to lose weight and all the changes that comes with that. We come later to find out exactly what is the huge grudge she has against Matt, and get to see her attempts to test the waters with guys. I laughed so much when I read this story, and zipped through it like there was no tomorrow. Along her journey you can tell she feels (dare she say it) pretty and not only that but more happy than she can remember. I actually felt compelled to take a look at what kind of junk I'd been putting in my own body and how dependent we all are on technology. Sometimes you have to turn everything off. No interent, TV, phones and just really think. Though I could never become a vegertarian (they had some good points but...) I love eating juicy burgers way too much. Good books make you analyze your own life and it did just that.

I got kind of annoyed at Cat sometimes though. The grudge she is holding is justified (in a way) I think she was a little too hung up on it. She kept saying traitor and you betrayed me and well I just can't see a teenager doing that. They'd be like there are such scum (insert more colorful language here). There was a bit of that, but I think Cat made it out to be worst as the years went by. I'm not saying what Matt did wasn't hurtful but I'm surprised how long she kept hating him. I think it's because it happened in her middle school years (very difficult time growing up) and she liked him so it hurt that much more.

That aside though this book is worthy of anyone's time to see sometimes that we are the only ones in they way of our own lives.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fat Cat.