Youngki.bear's Reviews > Japanese Photobooks of the 1960s and 70s

Dec 14, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: japan, photography
Read in December, 2009 — I own a copy

I like this book a lot, sometimes. It's nice because I'll never own or have access to the majority of the photobooks cataloged within, but it's frustrating because only a few photos from each book is shown. Argh.

It's also an odd book because it talks an awful lot about the photobooks as material objects (like how they were published, what kind of paper, etc), and not nearly enough about the actual photographs.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Japanese Photobooks of the 1960s and 70s.

Austin Parks I appreciate your comments and I, too, wish there were more photographs published in Kaneko's and Vartanian's book. However, I think part of the point the editors are trying to make is that these books were about more than just the images. For photographers, publishers, designers, and printers the paper, organization, ink, and even the publication process helped determine the visual narrative created within a particular book's pages. These books were meant to be experienced as three dimensional works. If you've ever held a gravure photobook and flipped through its pages, you know the truth behind that statement. Finally, this is history book, after all, not a photography collection, and I think the editors/authors did a fantastic job of treating each book as a collaborative work representative of the period.