Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}'s Reviews > The Darkest Kiss

The Darkest Kiss by Gena Showalter

** spoiler alert ** Highly entertaining. Lucien aka Death is minding his own brooding business when Anya, a beautiful strawberry and cream scented goddess tries to seduce him in a club much to his disbelief. You see, he has scars, on his face and body that terrify the ordinary person. No women approach him.

Everyone assumes she's Bait to capture or kill him, yet there are no weapons on her and no hunters around to do the deed. She'll only go away if Lucien agrees to give her one kiss. After stalking him for weeks she feels she deserves something for her efforts! And what a kiss it is too!

One problem. Anya is on the new god-king's, Cronus's hitlist. And he's just realised she's trying to court Death so he orders him to take her soul. Eek!

Anya is playful, feisty and sexy. She won't go down without a fight or a taste of the man she's obsessed with. Hilarious escapades ensue, I especially like the chase involving the gay strip club:

"Ready to have some fun?" She didn't give him time to answer. Weighed down with the chains, she flashed to a busy street in New York-fingers crossed he would be run over - then to a gay strip club in Italy-fingers crossed he would be groped - then to a zoo in Oaklahoma-fingers crossed the elephant shit was ripe.

"Enjoy," she muttered with relish. Anya flashed one more time, back to where she'd begun: his home in Greece. Lucien was still following her trail. Lightning quick, she hid the chains under the bed and palmed her Taser.

When she straightened he was there, just in front of her. Her breath caught. He was scowling, teeth bared and sharp, Death glowing in his eyes. He had a bleeding cut on his leg and he smelled like shit.

Her nose wrinkled. "Step in something?" she asked innocently.

"That I did not mind." He took a menacing step toward her. "What I did mind was being hit by a cab, then landing on the lap of a naked man. With an erection, Anya. He had an erection."

ROFL! Gena Showalter is a comedic genius!

On a more serious note, I felt bad for Paris (Promiscuity). It seems he's lost his chance at freedom from his demon. He was right about Sienna and his reaction to her. No one seems to realise his subdued behaviour is him grieving. Even though they have their brothers they're still alone. It's so sad.

Anyway, my only problem was that Anya lost. I wanted them to win but she still had to give up her security and is now vulnerable to Cronus. That angered me but I guess you can't always win. That's not realistic.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkest Kiss.