Kathryn Houghton's Reviews > Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life

Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life by Amy Krouse Rosenthal

Dec 14, 09

bookshelves: nonfiction
Read in December, 2009

I read this book before, maybe four years ago, and just loved it. The encyclopedia form fascinated me, and I liked learning about the author through the various entries. As I was reading this time, there would be a description or an anecdote that I realized I'd been carrying with me since the first time I read the book.

But this time, however, the book felt a little too self-gratuitous. Maybe this is because I read the entire thing in a day this time, but I found myself carrying less and less, and it was really disappointing after the love I felt the first time. I probably would have given it 2 stars, but I can't shake how I felt about it before, so it gets three.

All right, some specifics. The book does give a sense of character for the author, but I would have liked to have seen a bit more from the surrounding personalities in her life. The format makes the book easy to read, and easy to put down and pick back up without losing much. There are some interesting and quirky aspects, but some entries seemed as if they'd been included because the author couldn't kill her darlings.

In the end, this might be worth one read, but more interesting to me these last few years have been Krause Rosenthal's social experiments and activities, which she posts on her website. In particular, her video, The Beckoning of Lovely.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life.