Amy's Reviews > The Dark Divine

The Dark Divine by Bree Despain

Dec 31, 09

bookshelves: ya-ya-ya, urban-street-cahoots
Read in December, 2009

THE DARK DIVINE was one of the best debut books I've read this year. It could probably even be the best. This one was a real page-turner.

At first glance, the story is your typical paranormal romance. But whereas many of the YA paranormal romance books out there these days fall flat on their faces when it comes to the characters and the plot, this one does not. Bree Despain really knows how to create her characters, and give them personalities that make them shine. Or well, not necessarily shine, but make them believable and enthralling to read about.

Daniel was a great character. He's more of the bad boy type than not, but because of so, he was really appealing. He's conflicted but there's a reason, and I loved the relationship between him and Grace. Their interactions were really wonderful...they were actually credible and the scenes that were meant to be romantic were beautiful. Despain tells her story in such a way that made me eager for any Grace-Daniel scenes. I loved how there were reasons for Grace and Daniel's love for each other, and how it wasn't just infatuation-at-first-sight. (Like in Fallen, Evermore, and Twilight...)

I loved how family played a big part in the story, and how there was a set of diverse characters that made the mystery in this book authentic, and kept me guessing at who the baddy was until the end!

And the plot...wow. Unlike many other paranormal romances, there was actually a plot in this story! An intriguing plot with a mystery that was slowly revealed, bit by bit and hint by hint, over the course of the story. This made the story really addicting...I couldn't stop reading! It was evidently well-researched and well-developed, making for a solid plot with heart-pounding scenes.

Despain's take on the paranormal in THE DARK DIVINE was really, really good. The paranormal being in her story is very often used, but I think Despain's version ranks among the best. It's solidly constructed and has a legitimate and interesting history behind it.

I honestly don't know how to give this book a review worthy of its content. There was so much going on, and a lot of factors contributing to the plot that made it really enticing, but I can't give them away without spoiling it, so I won't! There are little things that you read about in the beginning that come together in the end in a satisfying and sweet conclusion, but all the same, I am desperately awaiting the sequel. Overall, a beautiful book with a beautiful story!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Divine.

12/28/2009 "WOW! Really loving it... Almost done wah"
12/29/2009 "DONE! love it"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kristi woot Amy!! Thanks so much for joining the challenge and spreading the word about awesome debuts!!!