Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Queen of the Undead's Reviews > This Side of the Grave

This Side of the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

May 24, 11

Read from March 02 to 07, 2011

Ok, so this is going to be short and sweet since this is a later-in-the-series book.

I LOVED IT! Now, onto the inside flap cover...

I do have a question, inside flap, isn't Bones missing a nipple? I was looking (ok I was looking really hard) at the picture of Bones and realized his nipple (I think it was his left nipple since I don't have the book in front of me) or at least a portion of his nipple should be showing just on the edge of his leather vest. Ok, I didn't take calculations or anything but come on? Where is the man's nipple?

Also, I forgot what Vlad is supposed to look like? Someone, anyone, please give me a description so I can imagine all his good juicy details. Did I just say juicy? Wow.
11 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Side of the Grave.

03/02/2011 page 0
0.0% "decided to do audiobook and take my time with this one. I love this series so I wanted to sit back and enjoy. I've heard all the rumors on how it is slow and not as good but there is not much that could keep from loving Bones." 9 comments
03/02/2011
1.0% "Oh my god, this narrator has to be the worst ever, she made Bones sound like a weaselly old man with a sinus problem. No go on the audiobook version, back to paperback. Since I have other books I'm currently reading right now, it will have to wait a few days. damn." 9 comments
03/04/2011 page 54
15.0% "I'm now reading this instead of listening on audiobook. Much better! a bit slow but better."
03/04/2011 page 130
36.0% "I like the book. I guess I expected less but I just enjoy the interactions between Bones and Cat. I love Cat's snarky attitude and Bones utter devotion to Cat."
03/05/2011 page 222
62.0% "i want Bones." 15 comments
03/06/2011 page 230
64.0% "Ok, I so love this book. Sure, the action is a bit slow but I love being a part of Bones and Cat's relationship. Chapter 21 was hot. The other chapter (forgot which one) where Cat wasn't exactly Cat and Mencheres had to help "restrain" her was too funny. I love this series and I'm so happy that I read it in spite of the not so good reviews."
03/06/2011 page 321
90.0% "I cried..again. Will there ever be a sad scene where I won't cry?"

Comments (showing 22-71)

Michelle zeringue i hope i can read this book soon. the other books were awsome.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Michi wrote: "i hope i can read this book soon. the other books were awsome."

I actually like it alot more than I thought I would. So many people thought it was bleh, but I think it's very good.

Laura the Highland Hussy I loved it too. :) I gave it a 4 though

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Laura 'Highland Hussy' wrote: "I loved it too. :) I gave it a 4 though"

I was going to say we are the minority but we aren't. i just looked at the overall rating and it is high. I guess I just noticed the bad reviews and ignored the good. Dumbass me.

willaful It's funny how that happens. Sometimes I'll have an impression of a book (everyone loved it, everyone hated it), feel exactly the opposite and *then* find all the people who agree with me.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead willaful wrote: "It's funny how that happens. Sometimes I'll have an impression of a book (everyone loved it, everyone hated it), feel exactly the opposite and *then* find all the people who agree with me."

I wonder why I was so narrow minded with the reviews that I only noticed the bad reviews? Now, just like you said, I notice all the good ones. Oh well, I guess I'm not perfect after all (just kidding- I'm far from perfect).

Laura the Highland Hussy Well, a lot of even the good reviews, had disappointed reviewers

Laura the Highland Hussy Did that make sense?^^^^^^^

It worked in my head. What I meant was that even though some reviewers wrote that they enjoyed it, a lot of them said how they were disappointed in the book. Not enough to ruin the book by any means, but enough to be surprised at it.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Laura 'Highland Hussy' wrote: "Did that make sense?^^^^^^^

Lots of stuff make sense in my head! LOL. Actually I understood you perfectly. I liked this book better than book 4 but it wasn't better than book 1-3 IMHO. However, the book is still far superior than 80% of the PNR/UF books out there. That is why it still warranted a 5 star from me.

♥ Sarah ♥ That makes sense Laura, because that was how I felt. I rated it 4 because I love the series and I did like the book. But I was disappointed in it compared to the other books in the series. It just didn't have enough action in it for me mostly.

Laura the Highland Hussy I think as much as I hated book 4, I think it was really strong. It evoked more emotion from me than the rest. So much so that I bought Death's Excellent Vacation as an ebook (for 12 flippin' dollars!) just to get another glimpse of Cat and Bones.

Sarah, yes, I agree with you about the action. Did you read my review? I felt Marie wasn't utilized enough for such a big character.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Laura 'Highland Hussy' wrote: "That being said, I think I'm with you Michelle, that it was my favorite just to see Cat and Bones happy. I gave it a 4.5, but demonlovers dropped it to 4 flames when I posted, so it might have been lost somewhere that i gave it 4.5
..."

I really loved that Cat and Bones were happy in this book. No drama between the two of them. I'm surprised I felt so relieved by that.

♥ Sarah ♥ Laura - Just did and I agree. I didn't really think about that, but yeah, she could have played a much bigger role in this book than she did.

Michelle - I agree! That's one thing I think we can all agree on for sure. The last book was so emotionally heavy, it was nice to have this one be so much lighter in that aspect and to just see them happy again. :)

♥ Sarah ♥ Isn't it his nipple under her hand? I think she's kind of pulling it up.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead ♥ Sarah ♥ wrote: "Isn't it his nipple under her hand? I think she's kind of pulling it up."

I looked very closely (yes I'm ashamed to admit it) but I couldn't see his nipple. Maybe it is there. LOL

message 56: by ♥ Sarah ♥ (last edited Mar 10, 2011 02:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

♥ Sarah ♥ Hey I looked closely too, don't be ashamed! lol But, I donno. I can't look at it anymore because I checked it out from the library. But, I'm sure he has a nipple. I mean, he's got to, right? lol Although, Ian was missing a hand on the cover of The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead ♥ Sarah ♥ wrote: "Hey I looked closely too, don't be ashamed! lol But, I donno. I can't look at it anymore because I checked it out from the library. But, I'm sure he has a nipple. I mean, he's got to, right? lol Al..."

You are right, there is no hand. I'm not sure why I was obsessed with Bone's lack of nipple since it is his other parts that I am more interested in.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) LOL, the real Vlad Tepes was one ugly SOB. But I don't remember Frost ever describing him. Maybe I wasn't paying attention. :)

message 53: by Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker (last edited Mar 10, 2011 03:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Maja wrote: "LOL, the real Vlad Tepes was one ugly SOB. But I don't remember Frost ever describing him. Maybe I wasn't paying attention. :)"

My point exactly, I can't remember Frost ever describing Vlad. So, anyone reading the earlier books, please help me out here! What is Vlad supposed to look like so I can get "Dracula" out of my mind. I want Frost's Vlad not the real one.

♥ Sarah ♥ From what I remember, she's described him as looking sort of Middle-Eastern. I think this was in one of the NHW books.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead ♥ Sarah ♥ wrote: "From what I remember, she's described him as looking sort of Middle-Eastern. I think this was in one of the NHW books."

really? I can't remember but I want to know. Isn't it funny how so many of us can't quite remember what he looks like?

Laura the Highland Hussy She said he's average height, oval face and strong features. Not super hot but his presence and air of command make him attractive (all from Cat's pov so shes comparing him to bones), I bet he's more attractive in his series. That aura of power and distinct features make him my kind of guy

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Laura 'Highland Hussy' wrote: "She said he's average height, oval face and strong features. Not super hot but his presence and air of command make him attractive (all from Cat's pov so shes comparing him to bones), I bet he's mo..."

Laura, you are my hero. Please tell me you didn't know that from memory and you happened to be on the right page at the right time?

Laura the Highland Hussy I can try to find the page but I did remember it :)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Laura 'Highland Hussy' wrote: "I can try to find the page but I did remember it :)
Mostly I remember Cat talking about his scarred hands a testament to his hard warrior's life from before he was turned"

Good memory. No, I don't need the page #, I was just curious! I have some serious lusting for Vlad so I want my lust to have a face behind it.

Laura the Highland Hussy lol, I can understand that! I love Vlad, he just had the best lines in the book!

Elizabeth It doesn't look like there is a nipple michelle maybe they airbrushed it out. The right side is covered by his coat thingy and her arm but the left side unless its tucked behind his coat or whatever he is wearing is missing a nipple : http://www.frostfans.com/wp-content/u...

Elizabeth Vlad appears thirtyish, lean, six feet tall, with an angular face framed by long brown hair, thin lips and a tight beard. He has a wide, pale forehead set off deep-set eyes. He isn’t handsome in a classic sense, but his looks are striking. Scars crisscross his hands. He has unusual eyes that are copper-colored and ringed with emerald. What he may have lacked in perfection of features he made up for in sheer magnetism. Cat and Kira describe his scent as cinnamon and smoke. I got this from: http://www.frostfans.com/?page_id=44

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Elizabeth wrote: "It doesn't look like there is a nipple michelle maybe they airbrushed it out. The right side is covered by his coat thingy and her arm but the left side unless its tucked behind his coat or whatev..."

Why would they airbrush his nipple out? Nipples can be very sexy! LOL, I can't believe I just said that

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Elizabeth wrote: "Vlad appears thirtyish, lean, six feet tall, with an angular face framed by long brown hair, thin lips and a tight beard. He has a wide, pale forehead set off deep-set eyes. He isn’t handsome in a ..."

Oh you are good! Though the cinnamon and smoke made me think of one of those christmas air freshining candles and when you blow them out..what do they smell like...cinnamon and smoke! Vlad.. the Glade air freshening candle!

Laura the Highland Hussy I want the Vlad scented candle! LOL

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Laura the Highland Hussy wrote: "I want the Vlad scented candle! LOL"

It always makes me laugh when I read about what guys smell like in a book. Like when my hubby comes back from the gym, the last thing I'm thinking about is that he smells like cinnamon (damn that is a hard word to spell).

Oh and don't even get me started when they talk about what a guy tastes like! I just read Heaven  Heaven Sent 1  by Jet Mykles and when Johnnie was describing that Tyler tasted sweet and good after he, well, swallowed, I kept thinking he must have coated himself in sugar.

message 39: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Sweet and good after he swallowed. Huh, I must be missing something!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Jen wrote: "Sweet and good after he swallowed. Huh, I must be missing something!"

I agree...nothing EVER tasted sweet!

Laura the Highland Hussy I'm one of those girls who loves Bath and Body, so I smell like whichever lotion I tend to put on that day-so I crack up when a heroine has a certain "scent" all the time :)
Sometimes it works with the book, sometimes, I'm like-she just got out of the shower, shouldnt' she smell like her shampoo, or her body wash, not "lavender and sin" or whatever

message 36: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen I wonder what sin smells like? Yes, Laurie that is a bit confusing!

Elizabeth LOL you all are too funny!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Jen wrote: "I wonder what sin smells like? Yes, Laurie that is a bit confusing!"

hmmm...sin.... I do wonder what sin smells like?

message 33: by Laura the Highland Hussy (last edited May 24, 2011 11:12AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura the Highland Hussy apparently it goes well with lavender lol
The only time I smell like lavender is if I'm lotioning the kids w/baby lotion and it's still on my hands.
My Flirty Mango lotion smells way better than lavender

message 32: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Exactly! Lavendar reminds me of an old woman or a child. It is not a scent I find to be arousing. But apparently that is just me!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Jen wrote: "Exactly! Lavendar reminds me of an old woman or a child. It is not a scent I find to be arousing. But apparently that is just me!"

Nope, not just you. I prefer the smell of just clean smelling soap. No fancy smells.

Tarra Nipplegate! I need a picture. Btw, I currently smell like plum and Sakura (I have no idea what it is, but I'm going to guess lavender and sin!). ;)
Thanks, I needed the laugh today. Especially love the topic of the, umm, how "it" tastes!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Tarra wrote: "Nipplegate! I need a picture. Btw, I currently smell like plum and Sakura (I have no idea what it is, but I'm going to guess lavender and sin!). ;)
Thanks, I needed the laugh today. Especially ..."

I still want to know why they got rid of his nipple? Jeaniene Frost where are you? (Like she is going to answer but it is worth a try).

More importantly, why the hell did I notice it? I don't go nipple searching on real life men or the paper kind either?

Laura the Highland Hussy Tarra wrote: "Nipplegate! I need a picture. Btw, I currently smell like plum and Sakura (I have no idea what it is, but I'm going to guess lavender and sin!). ;)

Thanks, I needed the laugh today. Especially ..."

AND another thing (I'm on a serious weird rant here), why don't authors write "he tasted like salt, sweat and soap"? Is it because we want the fantasy version and not real life?

Can you see I'm clearly trying to avoid work today?

Laura the Highland Hussy Michelle R, the Bookshelf Stalker wrote: "Tarra wrote: "Nipplegate! I need a picture. Btw, I currently smell like plum and Sakura (I have no idea what it is, but I'm going to guess lavender and sin!). ;)
Thanks, I needed the laugh toda..."

I think if we wrote that, people would be turned off...

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Laura the Highland Hussy wrote: "I think if we wrote that, people would be turned off..."

That's true, I don't think I would have liked to read what the guys probably really smelled like in some of the historical romance novels considering washing wasn't a daily or even a weekly thing.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Laura the Highland Hussy wrote: "I think that's the new scent this year-lavender and sin...in fact I'm writing that into my next book and you ladies can all have a good chuckle at it :).."

That would be so cool since I would know right where it came from. LOL

message 23: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Laurie- Ha! That would be an awesome inside joke!

And now I will answer Michelle because I am obviously avoiding work too! Really who would get turned on by, "oh, he tasted like a giant salt lick....I had to have more"? I am going to go with the fantasy version!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Jen wrote: "Laurie- Ha! That would be an awesome inside joke!

LOL! Oh my god, Diet Mountain Dew up the nose! Giant salt lick huh? How giant?

« previous 1