Lindy's Reviews > The Prince and the Pauper

The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain

Dec 17, 09

Read in December, 2009

I picked up this book thinking it would be a quick, one sitting read and it turned into much more than that.

This is a story we all know. A prince and a poor boy inadvertently switch places. Basic enough.

Intertwined in this story are the deeper themes of mercy versus justice and what real dignity and honor are comprised of. I also like the general perspective that the misplaced prince has on the whole ordeal. How can one govern a people he knows nothing about? The prince uses his opportunity as being with the lowest of the low in order to reevaluate how he will govern.

Personally, I found some of the description of the prince's daily expectations tedious in the beginning. But I have also been really tired lately and I do not have much patience for the stuffy traditions of "higher" classes. I really appreciated the point that each boy just wanted to go back to his old life and his own loved ones. A good reminder for those who always are thinking the grass is greener.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prince and the Pauper.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Karen Loved your review, Lindy. I'll be reading it soon. We'll see what another tired mother thinks of all the discriptions. :0)