Lindy's Reviews > The Prince and the Pauper

The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain

Dec 17, 2009

liked it
Read in December, 2009

I picked up this book thinking it would be a quick, one sitting read and it turned into much more than that.

This is a story we all know. A prince and a poor boy inadvertently switch places. Basic enough.

Intertwined in this story are the deeper themes of mercy versus justice and what real dignity and honor are comprised of. I also like the general perspective that the misplaced prince has on the whole ordeal. How can one govern a people he knows nothing about? The prince uses his opportunity as being with the lowest of the low in order to reevaluate how he will govern.

Personally, I found some of the description of the prince's daily expectations tedious in the beginning. But I have also been really tired lately and I do not have much patience for the stuffy traditions of "higher" classes. I really appreciated the point that each boy just wanted to go back to his old life and his own loved ones. A good reminder for those who always are thinking the grass is greener.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prince and the Pauper.

Karen Loved your review, Lindy. I'll be reading it soon. We'll see what another tired mother thinks of all the discriptions. :0)