Craig Stratton's Reviews > This Glorious Struggle: George Washington's Revolutionary War Letters

This Glorious Struggle by George Washington

Sep 15, 11

bookshelves: historical-non-fiction
Read from August 16 to September 11, 2011

This is a very interesting book for anyone who wants to learn more about the American Revolution. All the books I've read about the war (textbooks included) have been, basically, an interpretation of events by historians. This book is a chance to learn about the war right from Washington's own mind. You can see, very easily, how he did not have high hopes for success in the early days. You can see how stressful his position was as he begs and pleads with Congress for money and provisions for the Army. One of my favorite letters, since I am a native of Trenton, NJ, was his letter to Congress describing the success of the army during the Battle of Trenton. Reading his description of it was better than any historian description I have read. Another great one, of a non-political/military issue, is a letter he wrote to the president of the Virginia Assembly. Apparently Washington's mother was trying to claim a pension payment, which she claimed was owed to Washington from the Assembly and he had to embarrasingly explain that his mother is well taken care of, since he made sure of it before he left for the war. He also said, in much more polite terms, that the Assembly should ignore any more letters from his mother and deny any claims. Can you imagine in the middle of the trial of his life, he has to deal with annoyances by his mother? This little tid bit of personal information made Washington a much more human and relatable figure for me. Enjoy, history buffs!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Glorious Struggle.