JG (The Introverted Reader)'s Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Sep 26, 2010

bookshelves: 4_stars, z_author_american, characters_i_love, covers_i_like, fiction, z_read_in_2010, reviewed, science_fiction, strong_females, young_adult, dystopia
Read from September 17 to 18, 2010

If you haven't read The Hunger Games and Catching Fire , you shouldn't read this review. I have avoided Mockingjay spoilers.

Katniss is living in District 13. The Capitol has sought revenge for the rebels' assault on the Hunger Games in a brutal, unbelievable way. The rebellion is gaining momentum, and the leaders are begging Katniss to become their figurehead--the living Mockingjay.

This was still good, it just wasn't exactly what I expected, and I think the biggest reason I say that is because of Katniss.

I felt like I'd lost her. She's so heartsick. She feels responsibility for so many deaths. She spends a large part of the book wandering around lost. There are flares of the Katniss that I love, but they aren't consistently there. Do I buy her reaction? Absolutely. Am I happy about it? Obviously not. Katniss's fire is what has drawn me to these books, and she's down to embers.

Otherwise, the book twisted and turned and I had no idea what to expect or who to trust. I was thrilled to get to see more of Gale. I've always felt like he hasn't had a fair chance with Katniss, and he does get his chance here. There are so many losses, my heart just broke over and over again. There were losses in Catching Fire that I still hadn't reconciled myself to, so these new ones just felt terrible. That should say something about how lost I get in this world, shouldn't it? I'm still mourning.

I still love the series, I still recommend it, I just want fiery Katniss back.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.

09/18/2010 page 233
60.0% "I'm liking it overall, but I'm not entirely happy with Katniss's role."
09/18/2010 page 330
85.0% "Very sad about what happened through the last few chapters. Glad to see Katniss being herself now though."
09/19/2010 page 390