Lifeworld's Reviews > The Fellowship of the Ring

The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien

U 50x66
Oct 22, 07

Seems people either love or hate this. (I'm talking about LOTR as a whole.)

My humble opinion: don't read this as fantasy. Read this as myth in a book.

LOTR comes with an incredible sense of history in an incredible world, lovingly detailed. It is basically mythology - and even has a creation myth (Silmarillion). If you focus too much on the plot or the characters you lose that. Forget about your usual contemporary sci-fi/fantasy fare. Forget about suspense and mystery and excitement and just concentrate on the pure beauty of the world and the writing. You will find that whatever your opinions on the 2 elements of character & plot are, they do not detract from the deep poignancy that permeates the trilogy.

I love the wonderful textures of LOTR and the sensitivity to language. There is nothing pretentious about LOTR, and I certainly don't read it because of Tolkien's historical significance (in fact, I learnt about all that after I read LOTR and decided to find out more about the author). LOTR is heroically beautiful and heart-breakingly majestic. To me, reading it feels a lot like listening to classical music and this might sound strange, but this lengthy epic is actually one of the saddest books I've ever read.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fellowship of the Ring.