Trent's Reviews > The Fire Stone

The Fire Stone by Riley Carney

M_50x66
Dec 26, 09

Recommended to Trent by: a friend
Recommended for: people who want to know how NOT to write
Read in December, 2009, read count: 1

I gave this book 1 star for many reasons. Here are a few...

1. This book has at least ten different typos and grammatical errors. My suggestion is for the author to hire a better editor... if they used one in the first place. The author seems to enjoy using the thesaurus for almost every sentence which contain adjectives. When a single adjective would be fine, the author tries to cram in a few more.

2. In the first few chapters, there are at least five action/fighting scenes. This does not include the many, many, major plot twists. There are only a few breaks in the action that allow minimal character development. This is not a good way to structure a plot.

3. This book is pretty much a complete rip off of The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini, with a few elements from the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan. (By the way, Christopher Paolini was 15 when he started writing Eragon.) In Eragon the main character finds a magical creature which he keeps. The dragon grows, talks, flies, increases the main character's magical powers, etc. Sound familiar? The main character in Eragon meets a mentor who is amazingly similar to Lucian. In Percy Jackson, The main character has a pen/sword that returns to his pocket whenever it is lost or dropped. Sounds an awful lot like the magical returning feather.

To end my review, this book is pretty much borderline plagiarism. It is one of the most mindless and inconceivably shallow books I have ever read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fire Stone.