Vanessa's Reviews > Wicked Widow

Wicked Widow by Amanda Quick

Mar 27, 10

bookshelves: series, 2010-finished, amanda-quick, romance-historical, own, keep
Read from March 06 to 09, 2010 — I own a copy

Another enjoyable historical from Amanda Quick. This one is part of the Vanza series, similar to the Arcane Series, but with more of a philosphy, fighting skills, and other points of interest rather than the psychic angle. One of the common links between the two societies is the practice of mesmerism, which appears to be similar to present day hypnotism.

Of course, it is a romance mixed with a balance of suspense. The hero in our stories is a member of the society, and is involved in a plot of revenge when the story opens. He quickly becomes embroiled in the heroine's problems, however, as an incident forces her to reveal she knows his association with Vanza, a fact about himself he has been trying to keep secret. As he offers to assist her with her problems, they intertwine with his as the story progresses. One of the settings in the book is called a Dream Pavilion, and I found it interesting because it sounded like a sort of early version of modern day amusement park or fair, without the mechanical rides.

I like the writing style here and have come to depend on it. Amanda Quick, AKA, Jayne Ann Krentz, has kept to that formula but added some different elements to the story to keep it interesting. And as always, the characters are great, including the side characters as well.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked Widow.