Amber's Reviews > Linger

Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

May 03, 10

liked it
bookshelves: dont-own, fiction, fantasy, i-read-in-2010, sci-fi, teenage, 3-stars, romance
Recommended for: Anyone who's a Sucker for a Werewolf Teenage Romance Novel
Read from January 12 to 17, 2010, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** Well, Shiver I thought was a very good book. And in a way, I guess Linger matched my expectations. NOTE: Just because I gave this book three stars doesn't mean I didn't like it, it means that I "liked it" according to the rating chart. Just FYI.

I got the advanced reader's copy from my teacher, who got it at a confrence. At first, I had no idea what Linger was. Then I found out about Shiver and immeadietly put it on my to-read list and my Christmas list. After I finished Shiver, I-of course-moved on to Linger.

Linger was an awesome book for many reasons-I thought that the first 100 pages or so were amazing. They were great. They were what I was looking for. The dialouge drew me in, there was great conflict, I loved it, and I loved Rachael's meltdown. Maggie Stiefvater, you are a very talented writer, and everything you write is very descrpitive.

That being said, I think that was part of my problem with the book. Towards the end I found that in a way some of the paragraph's were just repeating after the first sentence. I found myself trying to skip paragraphs in order to get to the dialouge. I think that this 350+ page book could have been 240.

On another note, I thought there was too many POV changes. And maybe not too many, but they were too frequent. Like, sometimes it'd be on Cole, one of the new wolves, and he'd say something to Grace that would sound like something Sam would say. A lot of times I had to look back at who's POV it said it was so that I could get eveything straight.

And the ending.

Oh the ending. I swear, I saw it coming since like page 150. It was very predictable, and I felt that Maggie dragged it out. I knew it had to happen, it was just a matter of when.

In a way I found myself finishing this book becuase I was currious as to how the book would end for the characters, not because the writing was a spectacular wonder. Same with the next book. I am going to read it becuase I hope it will blow Linger away and I am very currious about Sam, Grace, Isabel, Cole, and surprisingly Olivia, who got like zero air time in this book-which I was slightly dissapointed in. She was in the first few pages and then she quickly dissolved, coming back ever-so-often like the coffee taste in a frapachino. It doesn't last.

Also, I thought there was waaaaaaay too much "romancey" type of stuff in this book. In the other book, I felt adventure, more with romance on the side. However, in this instalment, I felt like all we were talking about was Sam and the Bristbanes end on end. I mean really, that's not really what I went into this book caring about. Sure, I love and can feel the love between Sam and Grace, but I wasn't even feeling love in this, more like an obsessive thing about making love. It was everywhere. It was rather dissapointing and that being said it was a lot more..........hm........difficult to get through.

So, Maggie, job well done, but I'm crossing my fingers that your next feat will blow this one right out of the water.
10 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Linger.

01/14/2010 page 99
27.5% "It's good! Practically started it today. :)"
01/17/2010 page 368
100% "Done. Not as good as Shiver." 4 comments
show 1 hidden update…

Kaz. Good review, I haven't read this one yet but it explains exactly how I felt about the first book, it was just to slow going for me and I found myself wanting to skip parts (boring parts) the book could of been a lot better if it was a bit shorter I think, it draged out to much.

Samantha yeah good review.lol:D i thought the 1st book needed more action but other than that it was amazing! i could really picture every character Maggie Stiefvater has a way with words.:) i can't wait to read Linger i hope i get it soon! <3 and im happy about the new characters (Cole) can't wait.

message 3: by Amber (last edited Jun 20, 2010 08:56PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amber Thanks!

@Kaz: I did skip around in this book......a lot.....oops.

@Little: I hope you like it. I didn't think Linger was as good as Shiver.

LeighAnn Totally agree about the POV thing -- I caught myself looking back to see who was narrating a handful of times!
& about Olivia -- what happened to her?

Amber I don't even know!

And yes! Cole said something and I was like, whoa! Is that Sam? But it wasn't. Maybe it was just cause I had the ARC. *shrugs*

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist hey Amber,
I definitely agree with the POV thing and the ending. I *liked* the ending, but I saw it coming. And the POVs got a bit hectic
Still liked it, like you, but SHIVER's the favorite :DD