Amelia's Reviews > Spy Glass

Spy Glass by Maria V. Snyder

Jan 21, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, best-action, best-books-ever, best-character-set, best-humor, best-original-idea, best-plot, best-romance, own, reviewed, spy-books, 2010-2011-reading
Read from September 04 to 06, 2010 — I own a copy

Originally posted on The Authoress: Book Review and More.

Being the third and final book in a series, I was going in with mixed feelings. It was nice and long, which of course, I love. But so much happened! I cannot wrap my mind around the skills required to create such a twisted plot--and make it one you can follow. As I read, I kept thinking, "Okay, you know that this is important somehow." But it killed me trying to figure out HOW something, almost completely random, would tie in with the plot.

When you get a really awesome book, it's so hard to write about it without being redundant and without giving anything away. I want to rant about specific parts of the book, just to show you how AWESOME it was, but then hello--total spoiler. So bear with me while I try to water down the awesomeness for the sake of this review. ;)

The characters stayed alive. They're still just as vibrant and alive as they were in book one. I really love Opal's character, though most of the time I was calling her an idiot. I would be reading and I would go, "NO!! What are you doing?!" Multiple times. Out loud. Very loud. XD But Opal's strong and doesn't put up with crap from people, yet she's humble. She's also convinced that everything is her fault, which is like, worthy of a head slap. Still. She's funny and her journey trying to figure herself out is believable...even if it ended up ENTIRELY different than I thought it would.

I love the blending of the two stories. I think it's awesome that Maria V. Snyder has the foundation to bring in characters from her other series. So characters like Ari, Janco, Valek and Yelena make an appearance--many, many appearances. Valek becomes an integral part to the plot, which I liked because Valek is bloody awesome. It's funny though. Having read the Study books through Yelena's eyes, it's so different seeing her through Opal's. Yelena seems so much more intimidating. Like, "Ooooohhh, there's the Soulfinder. The big bad Soulfinder."

The summary hardly does this book justice. The ending was what really killed me. It was SO different than what I was expecting. I dislike love triangles from the start. I was just surprised at how believable I found this particular outcome. I was just like...Oh...okay. And kept going. But seriously--I loved the ending. Sweetness of it aside, it was believable. I cannot say that enough because it's so important.

Normally, I would warn younger teens against reading this book--for now. But if you've followed the Opal Cowan books so far, I'd say you're good to go, content-wise. It really annoys me how these books are listed under adult science fiction. Like, really, really annoys me. They're perfectly suitable for young adults. They're a lot like the Mercy Thompson books in nature. Not a lot of swearing, perhaps mature topics and maybe a few scenes that got a little heated, but overall, not as bad as it could be. I know a lot of young adults books that are worse than some adults books.

The cover: Golly g minor Batman! I love all the covers in the Glass series. Maria V. Snyder has some great graphic designers behind her.

I know that Maria V. Snyder may have plans for another Ixia/Sitia series. Right now, she's got her Outside In stories going. I REALLY want more of Ixia/Sitia. Seeing a Fisk story would be awesome.

So you see, my hands were pretty much tied writing this review. I want say, "Oh, I loved it when Opal did this..." etc. etc., but I do NOT post spoilers. So. For all of you who haven't picked up this series yet (for shame!), you should go find a copy of "Storm Glass" PRONTO!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spy Glass.

09/04/2010 page 45