Michele's Reviews > Rape: A Love Story

Rape by Joyce Carol Oates

Dec 13, 09

Read in December, 2009

A chilling, haunting reminder of the evil that humans are capable of, the author describes the brutality of the rape and terror beyond what we are capable of imagining on our own. The second attack from the community slandering the victims is almost more disgusting, being from a small town full of small minds I could visualize it full-force. “She asked for it” I understand that no rape story has a “happy ending” but Joyce Carol Oates delivers us the best possible conclusion.

Earlier this year i read, on recomendation of a friend, a book about rape and revenge by Fern Michaels. The whole time I reading it, I didn’t feel that the author had any REAL concept of rape or revenge. It was almost a humorous story, I felt offended by it’s light treatment and lack of depth. In contrast, Oates’ “Rape: a Love Story” is disturbing, sickening, and vivid, it provokes feelings that one SHOULD have when this subject is approached.

Also notable is the writing style Oates has used in this novella, putting you in the character’s shoes. She addresses you as the 12 year old daughter who was present at her mother’s assault, she forces you to feel from every perspective. This is a short novella, easily readable in one sitting, a story you will never ever forget.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rape.