Kathleen's Reviews > Other People's Children: Cultural Conflict in the Classroom

Other People's Children by Lisa Delpit

Oct 22, 07

bookshelves: educators, adults
Recommended for: Teachers and anyone interested in equity in the classroom
Read in January, 2002

There is really not much to say for this book: it is simply one of the most interesting and useful books I read as a teacher, and I recommend it to everyone who is considering becoming an educator. Lisa Delpit doesn't shy away from plainly stating the issues that face students of all ages. People who grow up in different communities have different expectations and ideas about getting and giving respect. In order for a student to succeed, she or he needs to be able conversant in the language that is used by the dominant culture (if that's who is influencing the school). There's nothing wrong with helping students consciously acquire this knowledge; there's nothing wrong with teachers from the dominant culture admitting that they come from a place of privilege; there's nothing wrong with all of us meeting on common ground and hashing out a way we can all understand each other and get on with the work of building a stronger community.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Other People's Children.