Jackie "the Librarian"'s Reviews > The Treasure Map of Boys: Noel, Jackson, Finn, Hutch, Gideon—and me, Ruby Oliver

The Treasure Map of Boys by E. Lockhart

Dec 13, 09

bookshelves: humor, youngadult
Read in December, 2009

In this third book about Ruby Oliver (The Boyfriend List 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver, The Boy Book A Study of Habits and Behaviors, Plus Techniques for Taming Them), Ruby is in a state of boyfriendlessness along with her two remaining friends. She's had a hard year at school, having a list of former boyfriends and love interests fall into the wrong hands in a previous installment.

And she's still going to a therapist for her panic attacks, even though her therapist's fashion sense is extremely distracting at times (orange poncho). This time, instead a list of boys, her therapist asks her to create a map of the friendships in her life, but Ruby being a bit distracted (orange poncho!) turns it into a map of all the boys she's attracted to. Oh my god, she's boy-crazy!

Ruby may not have any boyfriends, but boyfriends are ALL she can seem to think about these days! When she's not panicking about them, that is. She likes Noel, but because her best friend does, he's off limits. Her ex-boyfriend Jackson seems to be hanging around a lot lately, but she's already enough of a pariah without the talk getting back with him would cause. And besides, she really needs to focus on the bake sale she's been talked into taking charge of. No more stupid marshmallow creatures no one eats! She is determined to sell deliciousness, and to get some of the boys to contribute for a change.

I loved spending time with Ruby. She's a bit ridiculous, and she knows it, and is self-deprecating about herself. I liked how she started to stand up for herself in this book, and see her relationships from a healthier perspective. I liked the playful language, and the Seattle setting, too. And I loved the orange poncho! :)

This book is the third in a series, but you can read it without reading the other ones, and be entertained. But you'll want to read them all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Treasure Map of Boys.