Jaclyn's Reviews > Wolf Hall

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel

Jan 08, 10

bookshelves: england, historical-fiction, thick-books-approx-500-pages-and-up
Read in January, 2010

Wolf Hall follows Thomas Cromwell's journey through to his office as Master Secretary under Henry VIII (Henry's right hand man). It provides a unique perspective on the events that occurred with the Boelyn family and England's separation from the Catholic church.

I wish I could say that I liked this book more, but it ended up being more of a chore to finish than an enjoyable escape. Sort of like doing homework and/or reading a history book. There were so many characters to keep straight, many with the same names, and variations on their names which added to the confusion. I never could get straight who some of the characters were or their importance to the story, how/why they fit. To give Mantel credit, I think a true historian would probably really enjoy this book, but for a typical layperson from America, who knows little about English history, this book was a bit too heavy. I hate to say that, but as much as I tried, I just couldn't ever get my teeth really sunken in to this book. I watched movies, I looked many people and events up online, and I was still left with a vague overview understanding of what was a really complex story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wolf Hall.

12/13/2009 page 65