Aimee's Reviews > From a Native Daughter: Colonialism and Sovereignty in Hawai'i

From a Native Daughter by Haunani-Kay Trask

Dec 15, 09

bookshelves: political-commentary
Read in December, 2009

During a recent trip to the Bishop Museum in Honolulu (highly recommended, BTW), I saw this book in the gift shop, which was written by a Native hawaiian scholar and activist, and decided to give it a read. After the intro and the first few chapters, I'd had enough. The author's vitriol interferes with what otherwise appears to be a well researched work. Disappointing.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From a Native Daughter.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily Mac Rae I just purchased this book. I read Hawaii by Michner ages ago. I can not wait to here how that history affects what is happening today.

Aimee Aloha, Emily! I was inspired to read this after a recent trip to the Bishop Museum in Honolulu and saw this in the gift shop. Haven't read Michener's Hawaii, but I think I'll have to add it to my perpetual list of to-reads.

Keokani Marciel From a Native Daughter and Michener's novel are antithetical.

message 4: by Wai'ala (new) - added it

Wai'ala Keokani Marciel is absolutely right. Michner's Hawaii is fiction based on history; From a Native Dauther is Fact based on reality and truth. Though it maybe hard to digest and at times upsetting for some it is the closest to truth about Hawai'i, it's Nation, Native people and changes that need to occur.

Aimee Let me again clarify my position: Haunani-Kay Trask's delivery is like someone shouting in my (one's) face. I respect her outrage, and there are grounds for it, but I'm not going to spend hours reading a long rant. Anyone who reads the synopsis will figure out her book addresses some uncomfortable realities about the colonization of Hawai'i and the marginalization of Indigenous Hawaiians. I'm not so gullible to buy the US Government's story on how "we" claimed Hawai'i, though I don't believe one side alone owns the "truth". As to Michener's book Hawai'i, it is marketed as fiction, so there's no mystery there.

Aimee Thanks for the recommendations, Keokani. I accidentally deleted your second comment--very sorry. I will look for a copy of "Act of War: The Overthrow of the Hawaiian Nation".

Keokani Marciel Mahalo for your interest. "Act of War" can be viewed online for $3 at the following website: http://bit.ly/161QaiI. Bookmark www.hawaiiankingdom.org to stay current with the legal status of Hawaiʻi. Press conference with attorney Dexter Kaiama from May 9, 2013, regarding the ongoing U.S. occupation of the Hawaiian Kingdom: http://bit.ly/10To8kH

Aimee Thank you/Mahalo for this. I also added "Aloha Betrayed: Native Hawaiian Resistance to American Colonialism" (by Noenoe Silva), and "Hawai'i's Story by Hawai'i's Queen (Queen Lili'uokalani)to my Goodreads To-Read list.

Keokani Marciel Those are important works also.