Darkpool (protesting GR censorship)'s Reviews > The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves, and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History

The Monuments Men by Robert M. Edsel

Jul 24, 10

bookshelves: auckland-library, read-in-2010
Read from July 04 to 25, 2010

So interesting. A bit slow to begin with as the background leading up to the need for the protection of Western Europe's cultural heritage during WWII. The bulk of this book follows the monuments men following the Normandy landing as the Allies swept across the western countries of Europe and into Germany. The narration is chronological, so we have frequent jumps between location and people, so the list of the main players at the front of the book was invaluable for helping get the different people straight in my head. The inclusion of letters home helped greatly in understanding the character of the monuments men, and the conditions they were working in. There are many surprises, and indeed some shocks as we travel Eastward. I'd never really paid much attention to the detail of what happened in the fighting part of WWII, so this book gave me a much improved understanding of this also. Utterly shocked by the idea of the Nero Decree, and what Hitler was prepared to do to Germany when he realised he couldn't win.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Monuments Men.

07/05/2010 page 10
07/05/2010 page 74
15.0% "Nice short chapters - excellent for those of us with a short attention span :-)"
07/15/2010 page 245
49.0% "Finding this very interesting - and it has been intersecting with some other recent reads: "Marie Antoinette" with mention of the Jardin des Tuileries, and "Eagle in the Snow", with talk of the colderst winter in living memory as the allies approached the Rhine. Magic stuff."
show 2 hidden updates…