Carmen Maloy's Reviews > Betsy and Joe

Betsy and Joe by Maud Hart Lovelace

Oct 22, 07

Recommended for: Everyone
Read in January, 1996

Finally, love for Betsy! We've waited patiently and now we are rewarded with some romance between Betsy and the irresistable Joe Willard. Betsy Ray has always thought that she and the fascinating Joe Willard would make the perfect couple. Now, in her senior year at Deep Valley High School, it looks as though she'll get her wish. As soon as Joe returns from his summer job in North Dakota, he's on the Rays' porch with sweet words for Betsy. It's going to be a wonderful senior year!

Then Tony Markham, Betsy's longtime chum, comes calling -- and his intentions are definitely romantic. Betsy is torn. She really cares for Joe, but she doesn't want to hurt Tony. She has to figure out a way to follow her heart without ruining her friendship with Tony.

Betsy and Joe finally come together . . . and even then things don't always go smoothly! Full of tendeness and humor. Deep Valley at its best.

The Betsy-Tacy books were highly autobiographical and Lovelace perfectly captures the innocence and magic of childhood. If you read this book and love it, please read the series. It will be books that you will never forget as long as you live. I also recommend the "Betsy-Tacy Companion" which is an amazing book that disects each book and compares it to it's real-life counterparts, including pictures of the "real" Betsy, Tacy, Tib and all the gang.

I had the pleasure of visiting "Deep Valley" (aka Mankato, Minnesota) for a Betsy-Tacy convention back in 1996. It was incredible to step back in time and enter Betsy's world. We toured the city and I was actually able to step foot in "Tacy's" bedroom and sit on the famous bench at the top of the big hill. It was truly a life-altering experience. I have to thank my sister, Julie for introducting these books to me and changing my life.

It's obvious how much these books mean to me. My first born child was named Tacy Kelly Maloy. Please read and enjoy. They are a treasure!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Betsy and Joe.

Anne I turned to mush on page 2 when she got his postcard! :)

Teri-k I named my daughter Betsy because of these books, and now she loves them as much as I do. They are wonderful, aren't they?

It's worth visiting Mankato if you ever get the chance, to visit all the places Betsy and her friends enjoyed.