Beanbag Love's Reviews > Surrender of a Siren

Surrender of a Siren by Tessa Dare

Dec 14, 09

Four and a half for this one.

I liked it a lot. It was very unique in that the location is pretty much the same throughout the book. It didn't bother me, though. Every once in a while I would think "Wow! We've been on a ship the entire time." But it was only a surprised observation and not a complaint.

There were some great side characters and the hero, Gray, is very lovable. The heroine is Sophia, a character featured in Goddess of the Hunt. She's the one who gave me some problems. I thought she was very good and intriguing throughout most of it. An "English rose" whose suiters and family all want to pamper her as if she's fragile china, she just wants some adventure and passion. I thought it was a really nice duality for a character to be completely feminine and innocent, but to harbor "depraved fantasies" and a longing for thrill. It was a fun twist.

However, she's kind of a selfish heroine, too. She's run away, leaving her family no real hint as to where she's gone in addition to the expenses of a canceled wedding, and her fiance with nothing but the humiliation of having been jilted. Wow. What a sweetie. Makes me really want to root for her. Hurrah. :^|

So I was torn between liking her quite a bit and wishing she weren't so self-centered. Then, toward the end, the author takes us through a stretch where the heroine seems extremely selfish and cowardly. It's pretty frustrating and would have cost the book at least one star had Sophia not pulled it out in a scene similar to Elizabeth's testimony before the House of Lords in Judith McNaught's "Almost Heaven".

I have to admit to the frustration with the heroine because it was strong, but at the same time I have to applaud Tessa Dare for pulling the whole thing off beautifully.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Surrender of a Siren.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Karen Great review, BB! Grey was an awesome hero. :-) I gave this one 4 stars because of the heroine's actions right before the courtroom scene...I hate when characters make a decision without even bothering to talk to each other! As a side note, I was ROFL when the hero finally discovered her real name. ;) "It's written on your arse." LOL

Beanbag Love Karen wrote: "Great review, BB! Grey was an awesome hero. :-) I gave this one 4 stars because of the heroine's actions right before the courtroom scene...I hate when characters make a decision without even bothe..."

That's about where I got really annoyed with her too. But it served to make the courtroom scene that much better. Yeah, the thing was that, once she knew that Bel's wishes weren't lining up with Grey's she should have sucked it up and talked it over with him. She even thought about how her situation was oddly similar to Bel's. But then it all served to set up a romantic reconciliation and that was nice, too.

I wouldn't mind a story about Joss at some point.

Rane Awesome Review bean, you hit the nail on the head with Sophia, I just couldn't care for her at all no matter what she did (even the crazy court room stunt)

Beanbag Love Rane wrote: "
Joss does get his own HEA in the next book, although I would have liked him to have had his own book."

Aw. I would like for him to have his own book, too. :(

message 5: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully Great review Bean! I've heard a lot of folks disliked Sophia.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Awesome review, as always, Beanbag.

Dina Great review, Beanbag! I didn't hate Sophia like many readers did, but she's the reason I gave this book 4 stars. TD's writing is wonderful, isn't it? I'm really anxious to get her next book.

message 8: by Karen (last edited Dec 15, 2009 06:25AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen I wanted Joss to have his own story as well. I'm glad he got his HEA, but I wanted to get inside his head.

message 9: by Ally72 (last edited Dec 15, 2009 06:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ally72 This was a fantastic review Beanbag! I am really looking forward to reading this...I am glad you enjoyed it!!!

Beanbag Love Agent wrote: "Great review Bean! I've heard a lot of folks disliked Sophia."

Thanks Agent! She wasn't the worst heroine (Jo Beverley's Portia Malloren and Caro whatsername still win the tops slots there, hands down) but she did cause a few problems. Ultimately, I felt she redeemed herself. Others' mileage may vary. :D

Beanbag Love Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Awesome review, as always, Beanbag."

Thanks Danielle!

Beanbag Love Dina wrote: "Great review, Beanbag! I didn't hate Sophia like many readers did, but she's the reason I gave this book 4 stars. TD's writing is wonderful, isn't it? I'm really anxious to get her next book."

Thanks Dina! Yeah, I almost gave it four stars, but I figured it was 4.5 so I'd round it up. Grey is worth ten stars IMO. Yum.

Beanbag Love Karen wrote: "I wanted Joss to have his own story as well. I'm glad he got his HEA, but I wanted to get inside his head. "

Yeah, that's really disappointing. I haven't started the book yet. I was trying to space them out, but since it picks up so much where SotS lets off, I thought it was better to just read on.

At least we know he and Jacob will be taken care of.

Beanbag Love Alexis wrote: "This was a fantastic review Beanbag! I am really looking forward to reading this...I am glad you enjoyed it!!!"

Thanks! Goddess of the Hunt was definitely better, IMO. But this was a solidly enjoyable read. I hope you like it, too. :D

message 15: by K. (new)

K. Geez -- I really MUST move this series up on my TBR! All of my romance reading buddies seem to love this author, so how can I go wrong?! Thanks for another great review Beanbag! :)
K.

Beanbag Love K. wrote: "Geez -- I really MUST move this series up on my TBR! All of my romance reading buddies seem to love this author, so how can I go wrong?! Thanks for another great review Beanbag! :)
K.
"

Thanks, K! I think you'll like her too. I just hope your expectations haven't been elevated to epic heights. That would be unfair to TD. So far I'm very impressed, but you should probably find some negative reviews to even out your perspective going in. :D

message 17: by Angelc (new) - added it

Angelc Great review, Beanbag. She does sound a bit selfish.

message 18: by Melody (last edited Oct 21, 2013 03:50PM) (new) - added it

Melody Great review Bean! I'm reading the first book now. I like Sophia but I'm starting to see some of those selfish traits peek out in here too. The whole letter fiasco (and not speaking up) and then her reaction to Lucy's wedding. I really want to read her book because I love her imagination and the fact that she's a painter but yeah she has already irked me.