Tiffany Wacaser's Reviews > The Woman Who Rides Like a Man

The Woman Who Rides Like a Man by Tamora Pierce

Dec 12, 09

I was so disappointed in this book. I had enjoyed the first two books about a young girl who disguises herself as a boy to become a knight. She works so hard to overcome her weaknesses and becomes a superior knight. The story was great. But, I was completely turned off by extra events in this book which really bothered me. First, I found this book in the children's section in the library, so I did not expect to encounter any sex in it. Anyhow, the main character begins a sexual relationship with a close friend. Details are not mentioned,but the author writes very clarly that Alanna and Jon are intimate. Alanna refuses to marry Jon when he asks her. When she refuses, he breaks off their relationship. Then she enters into another sexual relationship rather soon after ending her first relationship. I felt like this ruined the story that had begun so delightfully. I wasn't even able to finish the series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Woman Who Rides Like a Man.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Trice this is where I am now, though I haven't finished this bk yet. It's bugging me b/c it feels like she's picking up on certain stereotypes of women needing a man or not being able to be true friends with guys... there just seemed some kind of false foundation for both the friendship and the more intimate relationships she had w/both guys.

I actually read Kel's books first and I think I like her better, as a character, than Alanna, but I still feel like there's an element of the above there somehow... not that she shouldn't fall in love, it's just the way it seems to develop somehow

Tiffany Wacaser Trice, I agree with you completely. The idea of such a strong female protagonist competing in a totally male-dominated field and attaining such excellence and skill is very powerful.

But much of that strength is lost in her attempt to begin ill-conceived relationships.

Good comment.