Anni's Reviews > Reign or Shine

Reign or Shine by Michelle Rowen

Dec 12, 09

bookshelves: gave-up
Read in December, 2009

I thought it sounded interesting in Publisher's Weekly, but I after seeing the cover I had SERIOUS doubts. These doubts transformed into disparaging contempt after two chapters.
Yup, that's all it took.
See, the main character is all, 'oooh i'm POPULAR and the 'cutest boy in school' kissed me and there's another hot guy following me telling me I'm a demon princess even though I look like a normal POPULAR human teenager so I'm going to not believe him' and then after a while you know she'll see that she is a demon princess and shucks, I guess she'll have to choose between the 'cutest boy in school' and some hot demon dude, and oh isn't life tough?
I absolutely HATE it when young adult book have this whole 'cutest boy in school' crap. Because THERE ISN'T ONE. There are a bunch of guys who are unattractive, and then some who are somewhat attractive, and some who are attractive but in different ways and so not one will be EVERY SINGLE girl's dream date. And there are a number who are popular but aren't really attractive at all but since they can play football and grunt girls throw their panties at them.
But I digress.
The point is that there was nothing about the main girl that made her original or likable in any way. She was just ordinary and shallow and thought the terribly overdone 'oh poor me, i move a lot so i can't make friends' until the popular girl befriended her and then 'goodness, i cannot BELIEVE he KISSED me! OMGOMG! And it's only because I'm friends with Popular Girl but I'm going to think it's because I'm so charming and beautiful because I'm a stupid, ordinary, and shallow teenage girl who is not interesting in the slightest!'
I like young adult fiction, but when the characters are shallow and ordinary and hilarity does not ensue like it does with Georgia Nicolson, then I hate it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reign or Shine.