Laura C.'s Reviews > Old School

1972680
Dec 12, 09

bookshelves: fiction
Read in December, 2009

As I read I found myself thinking: This could be me ( if I were a boy in a privileged private school) ( and of course I would be the scholarship student). I was transfixed by literature, I adored the discussions, I wanted to meet Robert Frost, I was secretly a snob about “knowing”, I spent sleepless nights anguishing over a turn of a phrase, I would have quoted from Ovid if only I had been exposed to it ( why oh why did we have to suffer through “Billy Budd” instead?) – I looked with disdain upon the hypocrites, and even sought to judge them with a perfect phrase (all the while copying their studied indifference) - but then, suddenly, this book becomes more than a compelling account of one boy’s - and our own - love affair with the power of writing. It asks us to consider what is real, asks us to consider how our stories weave around each other without our knowing it, asks us to consider what it truth really means when the words we love are compromised by the lives of those who wrote them.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Old School.