Patricia's Reviews > Keeping Faith

Dec 12, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2009
Read in December, 2009

Engrossing story with dumb title, I quite enjoyed the twists and turns. It wasn't high literature (even for my low standards) but it was a fun read.

Side note. In the author interview at the end of the novel Picoult mentions that she researches like crazy for books because she can't stand to have errors. I found two, one of which was quite glaring: the grandmother character, who is in her 50s mentions that the War of the Worlds broadcast "scared her and her husband to death." I find this to be amazing, because the novel is set in 1999. This puts the grandmother's character as being born in the early to mid 40s. So, not only would the grandmother not have been married in 1938 when the broadcast was first aired, but she also woudn't have even been alive. Also, there was a reference to a nail being put "in Jesus Christ's side." I found this to be off and three minutes of googling has indeed revealed that Jesus' side was pierced by a spear. Geez oh Pete, for an author who is a stickler for accuracy, these should have been cleaned up early on.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Keeping Faith.

message 1: by Matt (new)

Matt Although it could be she meant "the man who would later become her husband" the same way I say I met my girlfriend at church (If I had a girlfriend, I wouldn't need to go to church.)

Patricia Well, she could have said that, but seeing as she wasn't born in 1938, that also would be difficult.

But you are funny.

And indeed, you don't go to church, now that you have a girlfriend.

message 3: by Hafidha (new)

Hafidha Those are odd errors. You have to wonder when something so obvious is overlooked - how did that happen? What large blind spots we humans have.