Jan's Reviews > Seedfolks

Seedfolks by Paul Fleischman

Dec 12, 09

Recommended for: Everybody
Read in December, 2009

I must admit I was attracted to this book by the colorful cover design and interesting title and was so pleased by the audio production of this little book. This is a very short book best listened to as an audiobook or out loud to others. The version I listened to was cast by 13 age and culturally appropriate performers which made it real for me. I still wonder if this garden really exists. The book has been used in the classroom and among theater groups.
A vacant lot of land comes alive when 1 person after another help to develop it into a community garden in the middle of a poor inner city neighborhood. The garden draws neighbors of all ages and becomes a place where people of different cultures and backgrounds begin to see each other as individuals and friends.
Each person's story tells a little of their background, their discovery of the garden and what impact it had on their life and their soul.
I will certainly seek out Paul Fleischman's other creations, audiobooks like this, children books and plays to name a few.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seedfolks.