Sarah Maddaford's Reviews > Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Oct 19, 2010

bookshelves: belton, can-be-read-alone, creatures, fantasy, first-in-series, modern, mythology-misc, romance, supernatural, young-adult
Read from October 12 to 16, 2010

I must say that though I am intensely intrigued by this book's version of faeries (I can never remember what spelling an individual author used...) Reth's behavior is completely creepy. I am so glad that Evie recognized that and tried to keep him away from her. This book is a great start to a series although many of the plot points seem fairly well solved. I look forward to seeing where the author goes after this. The violence is fairly low-key in this book, but the horror of what is happening in the supernatural world and Evie's involvement with it is gripping. I was concerned through the whole book that the fairies were working on an even bigger plan than it turned out they were (granted the plan was pretty nasty anyway). There is some language (although much of it is written as bleeps (at least there was a plausible and somewhat amusing reason for it...)) but there is Reth's actions and intentions toward Evie which can come off as sexual as well as some kissing and talk of inter-species relationships (nothing graphic, mostly just implied by the fact that there is a kid). All in all, I wouldn't feel uncomfortable recommending this to a teenager. It's a fairly fresh bit of supernatural drama and romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paranormalcy.