Heather's Reviews > The Dead and the Gone

2098381
Dec 18, 09

bookshelves: 2009, ya, dystopian
Read in December, 2009

The Dead and Gone had two strikes against it before I even began reading. Strike one, I had already read about the events in this book in Life as We Knew It, which focuses on the same astrological events and how they effected those living in the Upper Mid-Eastern part of the country. Strike two was the fact that this book is narrated by a teenage boy, which as a 24 year old female, is hard to relate to. Nonetheless, I enjoyed this book immensely.

Alex Morales is 17, living in NYC and on the track to certain success. He is intelligent, honest and hard working. Alex’s life is filled with potential and a loving family until one asteroid to the moon knocks it closer to the earth and irrevocably changes life as he knows it. His father, mother, and older brother are gone, and it is up to Alex to find a way for him and his two younger sisters to survive.

It was my initial thought that I would be unaffected by Alex’s plight as I had read it all before from Miranda’s perspective; however, I couldn’t have been more wrong. Turns out surviving famine, disease, weather shifts and an absence of sun is significantly different in NYC than in the Mid-Eastern states. I also think that Alex’s tale is significantly more interesting, perhaps due to his significant amount of losses. This book made cry, cringe and appreciate the wonderful gifts my life has presented to me and I am sure others who read this book will feel the same.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dead and the Gone.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (last edited Dec 14, 2009 06:11AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Heather Well, it was a bit slow at times, but overall, I liked the book. It really made you take a look at your life and see what is important and also makes you wonder how you fare if you ever had to survive something like this. I would say these books are better to listen to than "read". I'm finding it much easier to get through book 2, though I liked book one better. I say that everyone should at least try to read book one. It's an affecting book.

Heather Fingers crossed that you like it. I think you will at least appreciate it.

message 3: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana I am reading the 1st book right now and it's pretty interesting so far.

message 4: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana I guess the 2nd book is better than the 1st then

Heather Yes and no, it's kinda hard to say. I would have preferred Alex's story from Miranda's POV if that makes any sense. It probably would have had more of an impact had I not read book 1 first. But in terms of loss, Alex suffered more.

message 6: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana Yeah, everything has worked out tip-top for Miranda

Heather I liked her older brother best, it says in book 3, he will get a wife.

message 8: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana IDK, I am not attached to anyone. I might give this second book a go later on, but not sure yet

Heather I'd take a break. I read these about 6 months apart.

message 10: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana Definitely not now. I actually picked up the 1st one only because it was on audio.

Heather That's the only reason I read the second, lol. No way was I going to attempt to read it.

message 12: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana LOL:)
It was a nice listen though

Heather Yeah, I even cried when I was listening to the second book. I'm glad that scene happened on my way home from work as opposed to going to work cause I was really wailing. lol

message 14: by Tatiana (last edited Dec 18, 2009 01:00PM) (new)

Tatiana That dramatic?:)