Jenny 's Reviews > Guilty Pleasures

Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton

Nov 24, 13

bookshelves: all-pnr-uf, 2010-read, x-reviewed-old, 3-paranormal-romance, 5-read-fiction, 1st-in-series, 7-series-read, 6-owned-physical
Read from September 22 to 23, 2010

I want to give this 4.5 stars!

Anita Blake is an Animator and vampire executioner in a world where the supernatural creatures “came out of the coffin” a couple of years ago and the whole community is still adjusting to everything. The world is very much our own with a bit of a twist. Vampires and other supernaturals seem to keep separate from ordinary people in Anita’s’ world, except for the very popular vampire bars!

Anita is known as “The executioner” to the vampires which gives a very good insight into the sort of kick ass and strong minded individual she is. Anita seems to be someone who will not give up and believes in what she is doing. When Anita’s “friend” Edward turns up we get a good contrast, here is someone who will go further than she is prepared to go, he has no boundaries. I have the feeling we will se Edward again in later books

Jean Claude is an interesting character, sexy and powerful he seems very much how a vampire in a story “should” be!! I look forward to more Jean Claude!

Guilty Pleasures is a great first book in the series, full of action, sexy vampires, some were rats, great characters and the promise of great things to come! There are plenty of plot twists to keep you interested until the last page. If you’re looking for a well paced action urban fantasy give it a go.

I enjoyed Guilty Pleasures and will continue with the series. I did not realise when I started to read the book it was first published in 1993! Good to see it stay so popular. I’ve read very mixed reviews of the later books in the series but I’ll see when I get there!

( Just one thing, please don’t tell me what happens in the later books or to make sure I stop at number x. I know they sort of change track later on but I avoid reviews like the plague as I want to make up my own mind!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guilty Pleasures.

02/07/2010 page 29

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Regina So glad you liked it! I am enjoying this series!

Jenny I know the later books have very mixed reviews!! I ignored that and just went with what I thought of the first one! Very good. Written all the way back in 1993 too!

Regina I know! The date is obvious when she describes Anita's clothes, lol. I am reading #4 -- and Anita is still wearing the stupid nikes. :) But it is still good. I plan to keep enjoying them until they go bad.

Jenny Did we really dress like that back in the early 1990s????

Regina Lol I didn't but I guess Hamilton did!!

Jenny Me neither! We were more big boots and jeans with jumpers kind of thing, hey I was 17 and a student :)

mlady_rebecca Glad to hear you are trying to ignore the critics and judge the series for yourself. I wish more people would do that.

Personally, the series is one of my all time favorites, with no "up to book x" qualification.

message 8: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH I really enjoyed her first book. Glad you liked it. I did stop reading her, but I won't say when. Only you can judge when you've had enough.

message 9: by Catherine (last edited Oct 03, 2010 12:35PM) (new) - added it

Catherine Great review Jen! It's nice that you're steering clear of other reviews and trying to make up your own mind. The later books did change focus, but I still read them. :) I actually need to catch up, I'm a few behind!

Cindyg Jen...I agree...you should make up your own mind about this series...to suggest that you'll stop at some point is wrong...I've read them all and intent to continue...I look forward to future reviews...