Tatiana's Reviews > Masquerade

Masquerade by Melissa de la Cruz

Dec 18, 09

bookshelves: 2009, ya, romancelandia
Recommended to Tatiana by: Heather
Recommended for: teen girls who like reading about clothes, parties, hot guys and hooking up
Read in December, 2009

This second "Blue Bloods" book has one major improvement - the number of pages dedicated to describing various pieces of clothing is reduced from about 150 pages in the first book to about 50. The rest of the book is of the same quality - same flat characters, same obsession with parties, expensive things and good looks, same absence of noticeable climax, and, sadly, same plot (or lack of it).

What goes for these books however is a very intriguing new take on vampire lore. It is obvious this lore comes to de la Cruz easily. Her mythology is elaborate and inventive, skillfully mixed with theology. Unfortunately it is wasted on the stories which are nothing more than fluff. Because seriously, how many centuries will it take these millenia-old fallen angels to redeem themselves in the eyes of God if all they seem to care about are: clothes, modeling, parties, and hooking up? My guess is: very many centuries (and books).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Masquerade.

12/15/2009 page 22
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (last edited Dec 18, 2009 06:59AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Heather Dang, that last bit was a bit harsh....
Why read the third?

Tatiana For the lore. And both you and Crystal are saying it gets better.

Was it me, but I thought the "mystery" bit of it was exactly like in BB? Someone is biting and killing and it turned out to be another Bliss's buddy and a Silver Blood' pawn.

Heather But it isn't Dylan who is doing it, that's just what you think right now. As the series progresses it gets more complicated and things you thought you knew to be true or guess to be true proved false. However, if at book two you don't feel as though it has a plot, I doubt things will improve for you so I say scratch it from your list and move on to something you will like.

Crystal Oh no =( I thought you might like this one. Well the third book is the one that really grabbed me but I was starting to get hooked in the second so I agree with Heather you might want to skip it. Oh well at least you tried =)

Tatiana I still like reading them, but you know, I am just waiting for some big thing to happen. I don't know how to explain, these two books just feel like parts of a bigger story. I am not willing to give up yet.

Crystal okay good I was hoping but I didn't want to push lol =) I read books 2-4 in a row so the story sort of blurs for me but I know the third one has more action so I hope you like it. I understand about the waiting=)

Heather Cruz wrote these books with the intent of one overall arc, so each book is part of a bigger story. If that is what you don't like about them, you are just setting yourself up for more heartbreak.

message 8: by Ernesto (new)

Ernesto gutierrez I was not a big fan of the first book. I tought there was not much about vampires more about fashion. I was just wondering if the second in the series is an improvemnt over the first one.

message 9: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda You know... "In spite of the obvious low quality of the books, I am still moving on to book 3. Mainly because they are entertaining albeit mindless page turners. However these books will never be something that I re-read, spend my money on or recommend to my friends." That really hits the nail on the head. Not much of a plot, not much of a climax.. but they're mildly addicting. I dunno. I'm going on to book 3, too, but I'm very much in the, "Ehh..well," camp.