The Holy Terror's Reviews > Holidays on Ice

Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris

2016128
Nov 13, 11

bookshelves: christmas, non-fiction, memoirs, borrowed, disturbing, waste-of-time, wish-i-never-read, terrible-writing, hated-this-book
Recommended to The Holy Terror by: Jeannine
Recommended for: nobody
Read from December 12 to 22, 2009

There were only three stories in this collection that I didn't absolutely despise; Santaland Diaries, Dinah the Christmas Whore, and 6 to 8 Black Men were the only ones that were even remotely funny. The rest I honestly wish I had never read. I'd suggest reading these in the store or borrowing the book from the library if you really want to read it. Don't waste your money on this collection, especially the hardcover version, unless you really want to spend money on stories about a baby killed in a washing machine, a husband and wife giving away their two 10 year-old sons to a homeless man to one-up their neighbor by being the most charitable, and eyeballs kept in baby food jars.

I think Sedaris thought he was being clever with these stories but really they were just sad and unfunny.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Holidays on Ice.

12/12/2009 page 0
12/15/2009 page 77
46.39% "I don't understand the point of the stories after the first one. We go from elves to a baby killed in a washing machine?!?" 3 comments
12/18/2009 page 99
59.64% "I'm really struggling through this one. So far everything after the first story is terrible."
12/22/2009 page 166
100.0% "Absolutely terrible. It'll be hard to forgive you for this one, Jeannine!"
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeannine (new)

Jeannine 6 to 8 black men is a really good one though you have got to admit and that is the one I told you to read from the beginning!!! I love that one!!

message 2: by Ridley (new)

Ridley I think it's worth owning just for Dinah the Christmas Whore and 6 to 8 Black Men. Those are highly amusing stories.

The Holy Terror Those were two of the three that I liked. The rest shouldn't have even been published. I've heard from someone that the reason he wrote such terrible stories was because he didn't want to be known for only writing Christmas stories, so he set about writing the absolute worst stories he could think of. He definitely succeeded there.

Jason Honestly, I didn't even find "SantaLand Diaries" funny.