Lydia Presley's Reviews > Snow White And Rose Red

Snow White And Rose Red by Patricia C. Wrede

Dec 12, 09

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, fairy-tales
Read in December, 2009

Ever since I was a young girl, Snow White has always been my favorite "Princess" character. Although I grew up on the Disney version of Snow White, I'd read the original Grimm's Fairy Tale a few times as a teenager and liked that story as well.

Patricia Wrede approaches Snow White and Rose Red with an interesting twist on the story. Each chapter begins with a portion of the original tale, but rather than the story being disjointed and hard to understand, she smooths it out and provides a very cohesive, very magical story.

Snow White and Rose Red are the daughters of the Widow Arden. They meet and become involved in the saving of Hugh, a faerie prince, and through this meet his brother, John. There are evil wizards to complete the tale and the dark overtone of accusations of witchcraft color the story, which was set in Elizabethan England.

The only difficult part of the book was the spoken language. While the author did a great job with her "thee's" and "thou's", it makes for some hard reading, and can seem somewhat clunky at first. After finishing the book though, my opinion is that it added to the magical feel and just provided some depth to the story that would not have been there had the characters spoken modern-day English.

A very fun read and recommended to anyone who enjoys a good fairy tale.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snow White And Rose Red.

12/11/2009 page 237