Chanita.Shannon's Reviews > The Energy of Prayer: How to Deepen Your Spiritual Practice

The Energy of Prayer by Thích Nhất Hạnh

Prayer as an inclusive, accessible practice that is not tied to a particular religious or spiritual affiliation... but rather can help anyone create a healthy life through the power of awareness and intention. Ultimately, author Thich Nhat Hanh presents prayer as more than just relaxation: is it a way to satisfy the basic human need to make a connection with something larger than our everyday self (the Universe!) :)

In order to understand why people pray, The Energy of Prayer examines the applications and effectiveness of prayer in Buddhist and other spiritual traditions. Arguing that prayer is not about asking some external force for what we need, but about creating an internal environment in which it is easier to get what we want, the book introduces several methods of prayer. These methods are meditative in nature and re-envision prayer... Included are visualization and breathing exercises as well as a rich sampling of prayers, chants, and invocations from the Buddhist tradition.
(adapted)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Energy of Prayer.