Greg's Reviews > Cracking the GRE, 2010 Edition

Cracking the GRE, 2010 Edition by Princeton Review

Mar 15, 12

Read in March, 2010

This book offers some good tips in most places, with only a few flaws throughout. But when there's a flaw in the book itself, it's BIG. For instance, page 248-249 presents a problem for which you're supposed to fill in a number in the box. After a long explanation of how to find the answer, it says "Adding 20 and 30 gives us 50 total committees, and the answer is (C)." Err... except that there is no A, B, C, D, or E on this particular question because it's a fill-in-the-box problem. Oops. But there aren't a whole ton of errors of that degree, so don't worry.

The website that accompanies the book is also horrendously slow and buggy. Expect to have to exit and re-enter your practice tests and drills multiple times while using them. If you're using any browser but old Internet Explorer, the site will occasionally not even load due to errors in the way the site handles cookies. Just delete your cookies and it should load fine. A major reason for these errors probably have to do with the fact that they haven't significantly updated/improved their website and the tools in 5 years or so. No, I'm not kidding -- the setup was the same half a decade ago. If you do have a problem, don't bother emailing their technical support. They simply won't respond.

I'm giving the book an average score for containing a few truly helpful tips, and because the author shouldn't be penalized for the failings of the rest of the Princeton Review crew. Still, they package and promote it all together so I'm offering a balanced assessment of the entire package. As an individual study book, it's at least as good or better than many of the other GRE books out there. But if you really just need access to practice materials and can take or leave the tips, just go to the ETS website and download their free Powerprep software and the basic manuals they offer. That should be more than enough for most test-takers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cracking the GRE, 2010 Edition.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by viola (new)

viola wow, son. you are still upset about that first one, hm? :)

Greg I was an english major. Severe writing flaws deserve no mercy! Except when I'm the culprit. Then everyone needs to chill the hell out.