booklady's Reviews > The Story of Holly and Ivy

The Story of Holly and Ivy by Rumer Godden

Jan 09, 10

bookshelves: 2010, all-ages, art, children, classic, family, holiday, fiction, young-children, prayer
Recommended for: my mother-in-law
Read on January 09, 2010

A beautiful story about wishing ... which is really childlike-prayer, or the prayer of the innocent. Holly, a little doll, looking for a girl to love her and Ivy, an orphan girl looking for a home (and a doll of course too!) are inevitably brought together in this charming and timeless Christmas tale for all ages.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Story of Holly and Ivy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Homeschoolmama This sounds beautiful! Just added it to my never ending to-read list :0)

message 2: by Jaye (new)

Jaye Rumer Godden? She is a writer I really enjoy, and her books are so hard to find! I have not read as much as I would like.

I've never heard of this book. I'll keep an eye out for it.

message 3: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Oh my gosh - I almost bought this book this past holiday season - So funny. I have almost everything Barbara Cooney has illustrated and written - she is so wonderful!

booklady It is SO sweet! The illustrations are charming, the text is winsome and delightful--typical Rumer Godden--and even though you know where it's going, you can't quite see how it's going to get there which is what creates the suspense. I had tears in my eyes at the end.