FlibBityFLooB's Reviews > His at Night

His at Night by Sherry Thomas

Ahhh... Reading this was sort of like slipping under a warm and comfy blanket. I had read Sherry Thomas' previous three novels and been very impressed, so I eagerly went out of my way to purchase and read this one when it was first published. I knew I was going to enjoy it as much as her previous novels after reading merely the first page and seeing her use the word "abstruse". Sherry Thomas has a very unique writing style in the genre of historical romance, with her intelligence and sharp wit shining through.

This novel was a combination of all sorts of good things. There was some heavier topics to contend with - abuse, opiate addiction, murder. There was plenty of laugh-out-loud moments with the hero playing a moronic farce of himself to fool people away from his secret espionage. There was rats. Hundreds of them. And, there was *very* dirty latin. Oh my. In fact, I first read this latin sentence and said to myself: Hmmmm... I can't translate that. Perhaps I'll ask my dad what it means. Thank God I did not ask him, and took a chance googling the phrase to see if it was something that was translated online. After finding a wikipedia entry, I lost it laughing so hard that my husband had to know what I had unearthed.

I really enjoyed the novel and highly recommend it. I also recommend Sherry Thomas' other three novels as well. Read them all and enjoy them! :)
11 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His at Night.

05/29/2010 page 5
1.2% "I'm only a few pages in and I am happily remembering how intelligent Sherry Thomas' writing style is. Definitely recommend her books for a more complex style than the typical historical romance. :)" 4 comments
05/29/2010 page 48
11.51% "A delightful surprise is how much I've laughed out loud while reading the book so far. The main hero of the book is trying to act like an idiot as part of his disguise, and I am very amused ;)" 4 comments

message 1: by Bry (new)

Bry Sounds great! Been wanting to check this book out!

The Holy Terror Got another 2-day 40% off coupon to Borders, I might actually run out and get this today even though I've never read any HR or Sherry Thomas. Your review has intrigued me though!

message 3: by FlibBityFLooB (last edited May 30, 2010 11:13AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

FlibBityFLooB This isn't the best of her novels, but it's definitely a good read. I think people really like her Not Quite a Husband as their top pick. I enjoyed all four, and I read them in the order they were published. Her novels tend to be a bit meloncholy in tone, so this one was unique with the humor. I hope it lives up to my analysis of it for you, Shannon :)

new_user What did your husband say when you showed him the line?

FlibBityFLooB He winked at me ;)

new_user LOL. That scoundrel. :)

message 7: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne O this book gets more alluring by the minute, dirty latin eh? sounds right up my ally.....

new_user LOL. You have to read Sherry Thomas, Adrienne. Check out Not Quite a Husband.