Megan's Reviews > Isis

Dec 11, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: librarybook
Read in December, 2009

I picked up this book from the library a few days ago when I saw the title was a reference to Isis, the Egyptian goddess. I was intrigued by the concept of raising the dead and the hidden truth in the myths surrounding death proving true. I read it quickly but was left unsatisfied by the story.

The characters are well developed for such a short novella (113 pages) but there is something lacking in story. First, the story takes a surprisingly long time to develop--the main event in the plot takes place nearly half of the way through the book. Before that, it felt as though I was watching one of those very long Star Wars style scrollers that contain all the background information needed before the real movie begins--except this one was 50 pages.

Second, once the big event takes place, the rest of the plot seems like a summary. The events are quick and not nearly as beautifully written as the first half of the book; they are so shallowly described they don't provoke any real thought on behalf of the reader. Once finished, I'm left with no feeling for any of the characters. Iris gets away with her poor decisions with little/no consequence and the other characters meet their predictable end.

This book had a decent premise and the italicized questions in the synopsis are fascinating. This book falls far short of exploring them--had it, it could have been a worthwhile scary story. As it stands, it feels like a failed morality play or a poor imitation of Edgar Allan Poe.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Isis.