Wendy's Reviews > XML in Technical Communication

Apr 25, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: tech-writing
Read from March 23 to April 24, 2010

Provides an overview of everything involved in using XML in technical communication from the advantages and disadvantages of DITA versus DocBook to the use of XML in localization. Mostly, it's aimed at about the right level of depth for someone new to XML, or perhaps someone who is familiar with the use of XML in one context (say as a writer using DITA), but wants an overview of how their XML content is used in production, translation, and content management. I think I would have liked a bit more in-depth discussion of content management systems, but that's probably a subject that deserves several books in its own right - I will follow up with some of the other resources that are helpfully listed in this book's appendix.

This book is a good place for any technical communicator to begin exploring XML. Just realize that you will need to move on to more in-depth resources before you really start to make XML work for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read XML in Technical Communication.