Roger's Reviews > Paths of Glory

Paths of Glory by Jeffrey Archer

1841926
Dec 13, 2009

Read in December, 2009

I have been fascinated by Mt. Everest since I came back from a conference that had as its motivation speaker who was a survivor of the 1996 Mt. Everest disasters that were chronicled by Jon Kraukauer in his classic book-"Into Thin Air." This is when I was first introduced to George Leigh Mallory. Did he make it to the top of Mt. Everest in 1924? Jeffery Archer did a great job in telling Mallory's life story in this fictionalize historical novel and of Mallory's life long dream of conquering Everest. I truely enjoyed this novel and Archer's writing style. He captures the spirit of the English nothing can stop us attitude of the early 20th Century and all the snobbery of Eglish upper crust society. Leads to good action and conflict in the novel. Archer has a definite opionion on whether Mallory makes it to the top of Mt. Everest but this will remain on of the 20th Century's great mysteries and debates in the mountain climbing community. Even you are not a fan of the quest to get to the top of Mt. Everest, I highly recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paths of Glory.

12/12/2009 page 140