Stacey's Reviews > The Beginning

The Beginning by Catherine Coulter

Dec 18, 09

it was ok
Read in December, 2009

This book combines the first two FBI Thriller books, The Cove and The Maze.

I didn't much care for The Cove. It was far too confusing. Within the first 5 pages there are dozens of characters, the main character being called two different names - which made no sense, and an endless string of confusing events. It wasn't until around page 200 that the book started explaining itself. I realize the author was probably trying to get you to feel some of the main character Sally/Susan's confusion, but it really didn't add to the story. Actually it took away from it. I wanted very much to like Sally/Susan and James, just couldn't.

The Maze was much better. By no means a great book but almost feels that way after reading the first book. The only thing odd about this book is that the world is literally against the main character Lacey. Nothing goes well for her and no one is nice to her, well except for Dillon. There are just too many "bad" characters.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beginning.

12/11/2009 page 5
0.92% "not read enough to comment"
12/14/2009 page 209
38.42% "Page 209 and things are starting to make sense. A highly confusing book. I've read this author b4 and loved it, but this one-not so much."

Lisa S Stacey I felt the same way about The Cove. I didn't like it at all. Still reading The Maze.

Merredith it's not 2 different names, sally is a nickname for sarah http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sally which they even said a bunch of times within the story, just in case no one knew/figured that out. people often call me by both my given name and my nickname.