Irfon-kim's Reviews > The Curse of Chalion

The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold

Oct 22, 07

bookshelves: audiobooks
Read in October, 2007

The strength of this story is in is characters, who are incredibly well fleshed-out, strikingly human, very believable, and more often than not quite likeable. Also a huge plus are that despite a standard patriarchal fantasy world, the novel contains a number of intelligent, active, well-portrayed female characters who exist and work of their own right rather than acting as props or foils for the male characters.

The story itself is interesting and has good momentum and a few interesting twists, but the novel is ultimately mostly character-driven. This works well, given that you're handed a cast that you generally actually care about.

The reading of the audiobook by Lloyd James was very well-done, transparent but with excellent voicing of the characters. You could easily tell which character was speaking from the voices alone, without them ever becoming cartoonish or overdone. The voices of the main characters fit their descriptions and tone very well.

My only complains is that the book contains a rather lengthy denoument with a lot of descriptive language long after the story is concluded. My attention really wandered toward the end. But it's a very minor detail compared to the rest of the work, which is top-notch.

I don't know that years from now I'll think to put this on my "great books" list, and it wasn't really life-changing or philosophically challenging. However, it was good, solid entertainment of the best quality.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Curse of Chalion.