Maria M. Elmvang's Reviews > The Place of the Lion

The Place of the Lion by Charles Williams

Dec 30, 09

bookshelves: unfinished, not-owned, 1-star

Dec 2009: 1/4 of the way through and I was still utterly uninterested in the plot. Life is too short for such books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Place of the Lion.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe Dantona Life is too short to go without books like it!

Maria M. Elmvang I'm glad you're getting such enjoyment out of it. My tastes obviously run towards other authors.

message 3: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe Dantona Kiwiria wrote: "I'm glad you're getting such enjoyment out of it. My tastes obviously run towards other authors."

Most definitely. I'm just not so sure we should rate books poorly because they don't run in the vein of our taste.

Maria M. Elmvang That depends on what criteria you use to rate books. The stars here at Goodreads are translated by TPTB at Goodreads as "I didn't like it", "It was OK", "I liked it", "I really liked it" and "I loved it" respectively. All personal opinions that don't reflect the quality of the book at all, but only the reader's experience of it. So that's the criteria I use to rate books.

But just because a book doesn't appeal to me, personally, doesn't mean I can't still see their literary merit (Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close springs to mind), and I usually make sure to address this in my reviews. However, that unfortunately wasn't the case for this book, and therefore I saw no reason to force myself to finish it.